Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Movement

I honestly must say that I thought that movement class was ridiculous. I could see how some of that stuff might apply, but overall the experience left me speechless, and not in a good way. Knowing your instrument/tool is important and so is warming up, but I'm sure there are better ways to go about it. Going through the "stages of life" just annoyed me.
Movement is about performance. Its not what you think you look like that counts, its what you actually look like that matters. Most people don't understand that their movements look different from how they think they look. If you had a mirror in front of you that would be different. Then you could tailor your movements to match the images you have in your head, but if you just move thinking that you are representing something then you probably aren't anywhere close to it. Why do you think that professionals or politicians practice smiling or dance studios are lined with mirrors? Yes, your body is a tool, but it isn't an easy one to use, otherwise we'd all be dancers or actors, etc. So no, I didn't get anything out of that movement class.

No comments: